Faith, Young Adults, and Urban Partnernships

Sunday, July 7, 2013

The Lutherans in Trenton 2013!

Hey guys! I’m Alexis from Elect Saints of, Pa.* I’m 19 years old and a sophomore at Mercer County Community College, majoring in nursing. I’m from Trenton, born and raised. Today (7/2/13) was my first day of working with LiT. I decided to join LiT because last year, two members of my church did this program and told me about how much fun it was, and so I said, why not? I never thought my first day of work could be so much fun! Even though the road trip made me kind of tired, once we got into conversation I was wide awake. It was especially fun finding out how many things we all have in common. The most inspiring part of the day was walking on the beach. The moment when I felt God’s presence was when we were walking on the beach and this couple, I assume who live in the neighborhood, greeted me with a smile, instead of looking at me a certain way! That kind of made my day!

*Elect Saints Lutheran Church until recently was located in Trenton but has since moved across the river into neighboring Morrisville. They currently still have a relationship with the NJ Synod.

___________________________________________________________________________

Hello everyone, my name is Edmond. I’m 19 years old and worship at Elect Saints Lutheran Church in Morrisville, PA. I was born in Trenton NJ. I’m attending Buck Community College, which is located in Bristol, PA. I’m part of Lutherans in Trenton 2013. I decided to join LiT this summer to learn more about God, meet new people, and help out around my community. During the program I hope to learn more about faith and have a stronger relationship with God. I like to experience new things, get to know people, and enjoy working with others.

 ___________________________________________________________________________


Hi! My name is Katrina and I am an alumi to the LiT program. Last year I had such a great time working in the city of Trenton and the surrounding communities that I could not think of a better way to spend my summer. I currently live in Trenton and attend St. Bartholomew Lutheran Church. During the school year I live in Ewing as I finish up my senior year at the College of New Jersey. I hope to have a job teaching history in an urban high school next year, and I believe working in the community of Trenton and with the youth of Trenton, I will gain a larger understanding of the difficulties people encounter and the prejudices people have about an urban environment. These things will aid me in my future classrooms and in aiding my students in overcoming the obstacles in urban living.

___________________________________________________________________________

Hi, my name is Matt. Since before I can even remember I have been a member of St. Mark Lutheran Church in Hamilton. I live close by in Bordentown and in the fall I will be attending my freshman year of college at Valparaiso University in Indiana. There I will be studying mechanical engineering. A few weeks ago I began wondering how I would spend my summer. One day, while walking through my church, I found a poster advertising a job with the organization Lutherans in Trenton, aka LiT. I read the poster and was immediately hooked. Here was an opportunity not only to secure some financial stability before college, but to help those who need help at the same time. From this job I hope to really learn more about people who may be different from me and to also to grow spiritually. I truly believe this is an opportunity to both help others and learn more about who I am.

___________________________________________________________________________

Hey LiT! My name is Kevin, and you make have read some of my posts last year since I am returning for my second year of Lutherans in Trenton. I am a 20 year old psychology major and will be a junior at Springfield College in MA. I am from Plainsboro NJ and attend Prince of Peace Lutheran Church where I have attended all my life. I am back working for LiT because I would really like to help this program grow because I had a really great experience last year.  I hope this year I will continue to learn how to help others have the same experience I had. This year is looking great already so I hope you follow along!

___________________________________________________________________________

My name is Lauren and I am a member of St. Paul Lutheran Church in East Windsor, NJ. I have been a resident of Robbinsville all my life and continue to live there while I’m not at school. I attend the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia and will be a sophomore this coming fall. I have yet to decide in a major. I decided LiT would be a great opportunity for me after one of my pastors – Pastor Lydia – suggested it. I decided that I would really enjoy getting the chance to explore my own community in a way that I had not been able to before. Simultaneously, I would have the chance to make a great new group of friends that I could share this experience with. I hope that I will be able to accomplish these two goals – a hope that I think is very possible considering the awesome people I have met so far in LiT.

 ____________________________________________________________________________

My name is Emma, I am twenty years old. I belong to St. Mark Lutheran Church. I have lived in the Hamilton area my entire life. I attend Marywood University in Scranton, PA where I study architecture. The reason I chose to apply to LiT was because I enjoy helping people. I also hope to develop strong relationships with the people I will have the pleasure of working with this year. The bonus to this job is that service will look good on a resume. I hope to have wonderful experiences this summer in getting to know my fellow LiT members as well as learning more about the community I live in and doing what we can to better it in any way.
 ___________________________________________________________________________


My name is Rachel. I attend Prince of Peace Lutheran Church in Princeton Junction. I am 21 years old and have lived in Hamilton NJ all my life. I go to school in Chicago where I major in music at North Park University. I was in LiT last year and decided to return because of how great that experience was. Also, working in church is what I want to do when I graduate, and it is such a great way to gain experience and make connections. This summer I hope to really get into the community and help in whatever way I can. I also hope to truly renew the knowledge of how blessed I've been so that I can set myself aside and be a blessing to others.

No comments:

Post a Comment